Monday 6 May 2013

Nook Simply Touch - is it worth rooting?

A couple of days ago I have bought the Nook Simple Touch. For various reasons that I am not really concerned about Barnes and Noble have decided to drop the price for it to £29. Before I bought it I was thinking that I already have 3-4 tablets and whether I need one or not. Well, I was tempted to say that I did not really need a new one, however because of the price drop I was considering buying one. I did a bit of research and I found out that it is very easy to root it and install Amazon Kindle on it so, I've decided to go ahead and buy it. I bought it from John Lewis and it was delivered next day so, as soon as I arrived home I decided to have a look and try to root it. I can say it without any kind of hesitation that it was worth it. I already have quite a lot of books on Kindle and the the Kindle application works fine on it. There is a small problem when switching pages but it is still worth it.
I tested before E-book readers in shops but I have never considered buying one, however after spending half a day under the sun I realize now that it is a big difference. The reading experience is so much better with an E-Book reader when outside, almost no reflection at all and the size of the screen is almost perfect. I still need to get used to the idea that it is not a tablet but as a book replacement it is wonderful.

For those of you that are thinking to root the device, I have used the following links for instructions:

http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps

http://lifehacker.com/5926798/turn-your-rooted-nook-into-the-ultimate-ereader-with-these-10-apps

I have tested ES File Manager, Kindle and Search Market and they work fine. I installed a spare 8 GB card that I already had and I am thinking to download all the books that I had on Kindle to it.

I am thinking also to install the No Refresh mod but I am not sure at the moment about the need of it. If you are curious about what it is, have a look on the following link:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/hack-enables-fast-refresh-mode-on-nook-simple-touch-video/


Currently the Nook is £29, my advice is to grab one if you can. Definitely you will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment